The Name That Wins.
Top Port Huron Criminal Defense Lawyer
William Barnwell of Barnwell Law is a top-rated criminal defense lawyer who practices extensively in Port Huron and St. Clair County. If you are looking for a top felony and misdemeanor attorney to represent you in 72nd District Court or the 31st Circuit Court, call Bill Barnwell of Barnwell Law today at (810) 394-2952.
Getting entangled in the confounding threads of criminal charges can be an overwhelming and frightening experience. However, rest assured, you are not alone. Barnwell Law, PLLC, a top law firm practicing in Port Huron, is dedicated to standing firmly by your side, offering robust defense services to individuals faced with criminal offenses. Our team is steeped in extensive legal knowledge and experience, advising and advocating on behalf of our clients for a wide range of criminal cases. To attorney Bill Barnwell, you are not just a file number, but a human being deserving fair presentation and judgment under our legal system. Your reputational risk is genuinely recognized and your personal story honestly heard. For effective legal representation, reach out to us at (810) 394-2952. Conquer your legal challenges with Barnwell Law, PLLC.
Top Port Huron Felony Attorney
William Barnwell of Barnwell Law represents individuals facing all felony charges, including but not limited to:
- Murder, Homicide, Manslaughter
- Sex Crimes (CSC)
- Criminal Sexual Conduct 1st Degree
- Criminal Sexual Conduct 2nd Degree
- Criminal Sexual Conduct 3rd Degree
- Criminal Sexual Conduct 4th Degree
- Child Pornography
- Drug Crimes
- Heroin and Fentanyl Offenses
- Cocaine Possession
- Delivering and Manufacturing a Controlled Substance
- Procession of a Controlled Substance
- Felony DUI, OWI, OUIL
- Credit Card Fraud
- Resisting and Assaulting a Police Officer
If you are charged with a felony, you face 2 years to life in state prison, depending on the charge. All felony cases will begin in the 72nd District Court. If enough evidence exists after your preliminary exam, your case will be “bound over” to Circuit Court in the 31st Circuit Court. In Port Huron, the District Court is on the 2nd floor of the courtroom and the Circuit Court is on the 3rd floor. If your case originates west of Marysville in St. Clair County, your case may initially be heard in Marine City before advancing to the 3rd floor of the Port Huron Courthouse.
Felony cases can be life altering. St. Clair County is known for being a “tough” county, which is why you need a top Port Huron and St. Clair County criminal attorney at your side. Barnwell Law is known and respected in Port Huron. Contact Bill today at (810) 394-2952 or email through our site to begin an evaluation of your case.
Top Port Huron Misdemeanor Lawyer
Misdemeanor offenses are offenses punishable but one year or less in the county jail. Barnwell Law represents individuals accused of all misdemeanor crimes in Port Huron and Marine City including, but not limited to:
- DUI, OWI, OUIL, Drunk Driving
- Domestic Violence
- Retail Fraud
- Malicious Destruction of Property
- Indecent Exposure
- Assault and Battery
- Driving While License Suspended
- Disorderly Conduct
- Disturbing the Peace
William Barnwell of Barnwell Law has experience trying cases before a jury in Port Huron. The Prosecutor’s office is known for being strict compared to other surrounding counties. The Court also operates with a “rocket docket”, meaning they like to move their cases quickly. Barnwell Law has successfully representing countless people in both Port Huron and Marine City covering the 72nd District Court and 31st Circuit Court.
Burden and Standard of Proof in Criminal Cases
Barnwell Law understands the gravity of facing a criminal charge and comprehend the emotions of uncertainty, fear, and anxiety that accompany it. We believe strongly in the sacred principle of our justice system: everyone is presumed innocent until proven guilty. Therefore, it is the prosecution’s colossal task to establish the defendant’s guilt beyond a reasonable doubt, not solely with mere accusations but with solid, indisputable evidence. This high burden of proof is meant to protect the innocent and ensure equal treatment under the law.
It is critical to remember that every criminal charge contains distinct elements that the prosecution must establish to secure a conviction. Our team of seasoned attorneys diligently scrutinizes each element and exploits any weaknesses or inconsistencies found in the prosecution’s case. They use their comprehensive understanding of the legal landscape to formulate adept strategies tailored to each client’s unique circumstances.
Our firm prides itself on vigorously defending the rights of those who stand accused, we never waver in our commitment to ensure our clients’ rights are safeguarded throughout every step of the legal process. We do not represent victims. We stand firm in defense of the accused, providing a bulwark against the powerful machinery of the state. It’s not about defending crimes; it’s about defending rights – yours, ours, and everyone’s under the constitution. Trust in our unwavering commitment, integrity, and dedication to justice when facing a criminal charge.
Classification of Offenses
When seeking comprehensive, passionate, and vigorous criminal defense in Michigan, there are law firms, and then there is our Port Huron-based legal team. We understand the potentially life-changing implications of being charged with a crime. The possibility of losing your freedom, having a criminal record, and the enduring impact on your professional and personal life, it all can be daunting. That’s why we approach every case with dedication, meticulous preparation, and an unwavering resolve to secure a favorable outcome.
- Felonies: In Michigan, felonies are grave offenses liable to severe punishment. They encompass crimes like homicide, robbery, assault and drug trafficking. Secure a staunch defense with us to skillfully navigate the complexities involved.
- Misdemeanors: These are minor offenses comparatively, yet they carry the potential of leaving a blemish on your record. Let us protect your rights and negotiate lesser charges or penalties on your behalf.
- Drunk and Drugged Driving offenses: DUI/DUID charges can significantly affect your life and livelihood. We know the Michigan DUI/DUID laws in-depth and can strategically challenge the prosecution’s evidence.
- White-Collar Crimes: Involving financial malfeasance, fraud, or corporate crime, our legal team is well-versed in taking these intricate cases head-on, aiming to safeguard your reputation and future.
- Sex Crimes: Accusations in this category carry intense social stigma and potential life-altering penalties. In such critical situations, let our persistent defense be your beacon of hope.
Common Defenses in Criminal Cases
Navigating the complex terrain of criminal law can be a daunting experience, requiring seasoned professionals who have honed their legal acumen over years of service. Active throughout Port Huron, Michigan, our law firm is committed to robustly defending the rights and freedoms of those faced with criminal charges. We bring a wealth of knowledge and extensive understanding of a diverse array of criminal defenses, aiming to ensure the most favorable outcome for our clients.
- Self-Defense: At times, the law permits individuals to use reasonable force to protect themselves from imminent harm. The application of this defense varies depending on the specifics of each case.
- Defense of Others: Just as with self-defense, you may be justified in using reasonable force to protect another person from immediate harm. We can work to demonstrate that your actions fit within this defense.
- Lack of Intent: Certain crimes require a specific intent to be proven before conviction. With no concrete proof of such intent, we aim to help clients explore this criminal defense.
- Consent: In some instances, it could be argued that alleged criminal behavior has occurred with the consent of all parties involved. We’re prepared to examine the nuances of such cases.
- Entrapment: If law enforcement induced you into committing a crime you otherwise would not have committed, entrapment could be a possible defense. Our team excels in pursuing every avenue that strengthens your defense.
- Necessity: In situations where actions are performed out of immediate necessity or to prevent a greater evil from happening, such behavior could potentially be defensible.
- Duress: If a person is forced into committing a criminal act due to immediate threat or harm, our attorneys can help construct a duress defense.
Our dedicated team assures each client of rigorous representation, geared towards protecting their rights and securing justice.
Constitutional Rights of Criminal Defendants
At our law firm, that represents individuals accused of felonies and misdemeanors in Port Huron, Michigan, we stand firm in our commitment to representing the rights of the accused and ensuring a robust defense in the face of criminal charges.
- The Right to Remain Silent: Famously known as the Miranda Rights, you are under no obligation to provide incriminating information to law enforcement. This right protects individuals from self-incrimination, enabling you to withhold information until you’ve conferred with your legal counsel.
- The Right to Counsel: The Sixth Amendment underscores the right to legal representation, irrespective of one’s ability to afford a private attorney. A defendant should never have to stand alone in a court of law.
- The Right to Confront Witnesses: Allowing you the ability to challenge the prosecution’s evidence, this right ensures witnesses testify in your presence, offering you an opportunity to contest their allegations.
- The Right to a Jury Trial: This integral aspect of the United States judicial system allows for your case to be heard and evaluated by a panel of your peers, aiming to ensure a fair and unbiased outcome.
- The Right Against Double Jeopardy: The Fifth Amendment safeguards you from being prosecuted twice for the same offense, guarding against the government’s repeated attempts at conviction.
- The Right Against Unreasonable Searches and Seizures: Broadly protected under the Fourth Amendment, this dictates that law enforcement must have reasonable grounds or a warrant to perform a search.
Violations of these rights can compromise the prosecution’s case, often preventing a conviction. As defenders of the accused, our law firm champions these constitutional rights, providing unwavering representation for our clients.
Plea Bargains in Criminal Cases
Have you been accused of a crime and you’re unsure of what your next steps should be? Active throughout the scenic Bluewater area of Port Huron, Michigan, our law firm focuses on criminal defense and aims to protect your legal rights. We understand that navigating the criminal justice system can be complicated and stressful. One option presented during the course of proceedings could be a plea bargain.
A plea bargain is essentially an agreement between the defense and prosecution, where the defendant agrees to plead guilty to a lesser charge rather than risk conviction for a more serious offense at trial. This often results in a reduced sentence, which can be appealing to the defendant.
However, this option isn’t always right for everyone. Pleading guilty admits legal culpability and creates a criminal record. Additionally, the decision shouldn’t be based solely on fear or distress over the prospect of trial. Extensive consideration and professional guidance are required to make the best possible choice for your unique situation.
Our law firm has a track record of successfully guiding defendants through this process. For instance, a client previously charged with a felony was able to accept a plea bargain for a reduced misdemeanor charge, significantly reducing potential penalties.
This is a complicated aspect of criminal law, and defendants shouldn’t have to navigate it alone. Our attorneys are dedicated to ensuring you’re informed about your options, as well as any potential ramifications. Regardless of your case details, we are prepared to provide diligent legal representation and services that advocate for your rights and interests.
Top Port Huron Criminal Lawyer Ready to Battle the Prosecution for You
In the complex world of the criminal justice system, strong, strategic, and committed defense is paramount. At Barnwell Law, we serve as an unyielding advocate for individuals facing criminal charges in Port Huron, Marine City, and St. Clair County. Our seasoned attorneys bring a wealth of knowledge and an informed, pragmatic approach to every case, working diligently to counter the prosecution’s tactics and contest the charges against you. Every case is unique, and we are focused on creating a defense tailored to your distinct situation and needs. We are adept at anticipating prosecution strategies, artfully breaking down their arguments, and leveling the playing field. Above all, our main objective is to ceaselessly fight for your rights and work towards the most favorable outcome possible on your behalf. Trust our dedicated team to stand with you, battling the prosecution every step of the way.
If you want the best, hire the best. Call Barnwell Law today at (810) 394-2952 to begin your defense.